Friday, October 14, 2011

Kerri's story...

There was never that one defining moment for me that suddenly stirred my heart to adoption.  Looking back now, I think it has been a journey that God has been leading me to for a very long time.  A journey that began by growing up in an adoptive family...it wound its way through my daily devotions as I read Jesus' call to "care for the least of these"  to hearing about the devastating conditions of the orphans in Rwanda.  It climbed into my heart through Mary Beth Chapman's book "Choosing To See" about her adoptive daughter and planted itself when I witnessed close friends' passion for their adoption.  Somehow, all these little moments embedded in my heart.  I would tuck my three biological daughters in bed at night, and as I would pray for them, a thought would pop into my head and wouldn't go away.  What would happen if I lived somewhere where I had no money, no family to support me, and I got sick?  What would happen to my daughters?  I would plead with God - beg - for them to be safe and loved by a mother and father with the same love that I have for them."  And this thought kept growing more and more persistent.  Until we finally decided we had to do something about it.  And so we called an agency, talked to a wonderful caseworker named Lesley, and started the process to bring home a little girl from Ethiopia.  It has been the best journey of my life.

Kerri Petersheim
http://apieceofourheart.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment